Happy Halloween everybody. Today's the day we're able to sneak a few treats under the guise that's it's just part of the holiday. However, for our four-legged friends, those treats could be tragic if you're not careful. Here's a short list of some of the foods you should never feed your dogs, no matter how much they beg you with those sweet brown eyes.
Avocado- Contains a substance called persin which can can be fatal to dogs in large amounts. Persin is found on the leaves, stems, and fruit of the avocado, so be careful when planting with overly curious dogs.
Onions & Garlic- Both have been found to destroy red blood cells in dogs, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and lead to anemia. An occasional small amount would be ok, however one large quantity, or feeding your dog small amounts on a more regular basis could have serious consequences. This is true of all forms of onion and garlic, fresh, powdered, dehydrated, etc.
Grapes and Raisins- Although research has not been able to tell us exactly why, Grapes and Raisins can cause kidney failure. Despite the fact that grapes could cause a choking hazard, avoid them regardless for the more dire side effect.
Caffeine- Yes, that mid afternoon Red Bull to pick you up is a big No No for Fido. With no antidote, caffeine in large quantities for dogs can be fatal, regardless of what form it comes in; coffee, tea, chocolate, etc.
Chocolate- Since it's Halloween today, we should all be mindful of the candy grab bag, or Bowl of Goodness probably sitting on an entry table right about now. Most everybody knows that chocolate in all forms is bad for a dog, however, dark chocolate, chocolate mulch, and unsweetened bakers chocolate are the major offenders. Chocolate contains theobromine which can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, seizures, and even......
Should your dog get tricked by these or any other food items that are potentially dangerous, call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435.